Mommy Needs To Vent

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Winter Blast of 2007

I guess I would have to say, that right about now, I really like Texas more than I ever. This is turning out to be a decent winter around here, one of which I never get to see. I feel bad going on about this when there are people in the middle half of the US staying in shelters and not having power. I want to send my heart out to those and hope things improve quickly for anyone having problems with this. I on the other hand am enjoying every little winter moment I get. It is a little "wicked" as people would say, and it's been pretty unpredictable. I have lived in the DFW Metroplex for over 5 years now and never experienced what we have in the past 6 days. It has always been disappointing that my kids don't really see a winter. I can't say that this year.

This past weekend we got hit with the major "Ice Storm" which paralysed much of the Central United States. We had major down pours starting that Friday afternoon. I am talking BLANKETS of rain for two days strait. The weather people were saying it was the first time they could remember us having a Winter Storm Warning and Flood Warning in the same forecast. It wasn't as bad as they predicted but the roads were pretty slick on Monday morning after having a lot of ice fall. Tyler was out of school for Martin Luther King Day and Hubby got to go to work late. They kept telling us for days that it was going to warm up. Okay....maybe not WARM up, but it was going to at least get past freezing. Last night when I went to bed, I expected to have a high temperature today of at least 35.

I woke up to snow on the ground. It wasn't predicted here at all. Not one news station had gotten it right. That's okay though. Nobody is perfect. It was just totally unexpected to wake up and find out school is cancelled and my husband didn't have to work all day. It was pretty great and now they are calling for more winter weather. AS much as love this weather, it IS worrying me a bit. I mean it has been below freezing for several days. Usually it gets really cold one day and starts to warm up. I mean we aren't in Wisconsin or Washington! We are in Texas. South of here in San Antonio and Austin, Texas they are getting it just as bad as us. They haven't seen the things they are seeing down there in 20 years. They aren't even prepared for it. DFW sent much of our De-Icier down there and we have now run out of it. We should be getting a shipment by Monday, but what does that do for us tomorrow morning? Or this weekend?

Rumor around the country says the cause of this is El Nino. The El Nino phenomenon warms sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean and can disrupt weather patterns around the globe. If anyone hasn't heard of it, you should check it out. It's some pretty interesting stuff, especially when I am ADDICTED to weather. I see that i has caused an unually warm climate for some parts of the country, so for those of you thinking about Global Warming, that is not the case in Texas right now!

So the point of all this is, I am actually HAPPY about all this odd winter weather. I think the "Winter Blast" is just what I needed to start the new year. I hope I don't jinx myself. We have had alot more ice here than snow, so this is the best we could do with a snowman!!!

5 Comments:

Hi, Tasha

Yes I heard about that snow in Texas. My son just called a friend of his who moved there last year and she said she had a snow day...I couldn't believe it!! We're on Long Island and haven't had that yet!! El Nino is really bringing on some crazy weather. We had 60 degrees days up until today when we woke up to 23 degrees!!

Hope your enjoying your New Year!!
We moved from Wisconsin this past year to Ohio. I grew up in OH, and while not as cold as WI, we always seemed to have some fairly heavy snow during winter.

It has snowed twice here! I know this storm has some people in bad situations, but I'd love to have a little bit of the action.

I need to build a snowman with the Little Dude, take snow day off, and use snow blower.

Enjoy!
I tell ya... I haver never read nor written so much about weather in any blogs before this winter season! Everywhere in this world the weather is "off the wall!" You have to admit though ... it gives us more to complain and blog about! :-) Take care amd be safe!
I live where we normally get snow and ice. Our kids usually miss so many days of school that the entire county gets made fun of. This year, no days so far and we have had 2 days of flurries. Temps have been in the 60's until the last few days. This winter sucks for us. Build a snowman for me and my kiddos!
Awww, were loving the snowman here...and hoping to get some snow soon. :)

Add a comment