Mommy Needs To Vent

Thursday, February 15, 2007

How We Met

Sorry this is late but some things came up yesterday. This story is long and drawn out but I didn't know how to get it all in there. Let's face it, I like detail. We were "friends" before we "dated." So there are two parts to this story. If you don't want to hear about my "immature" teenage years, please don't read this!! I tried to leave as much out as I could. I don't want it to change the way people think about me. I have grown up alot since then!

Part 1; How We Met

It was a brisk night in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. I was with one of my best friends riding around town. That is what we did back there. We “cruised the strip” every night of our lives trying not to get ourselves in trouble. Let’s just say, I wasn’t sober. We had a place we called “public parking” where all the rednecks and crazy people would hang out. Um yeah, I was a country girl back then. I was up there with a group of people when a good guy friend of mine pulled up. We will call him “Dude.” Dude pulled up to us and got out with this guy. It was about 12 midnight and I had already been “not sober” for about 5 hours. I know what you are thinking, but hey! I was still seventeen and I loved to party. I loved getting into trouble and I loved to be rebellious. So when I saw Dude I said” hey” and noticed his “brother.” When I saw him, I looked at my friend.

“Don’t say we are f#cked up,” I told her.

See his brother was totally against drinking or doing anything that was illegal. I was really worried he might call the cops on us. Dude introduced the guy and we said “hi.” There was no love at first sight or I KNOW I am going to marry this guy one day. To me, he was just some guy.

The guy asked us why we were acting so strange and asked us if we had been drinking.

“Drinking??!! Are you crazy? I don’t drink!” Then he said, have you been hitting up the Vodka bottle, as a joke. Stupid me had a Kelly Pickler moment. “Vodka!? What the hell is Vodka?” This argument went on for about another minute with my friend giggling and denying every bit of our “non soberness.”

Finally “Dude” pulled me to the side. “What are you doing? Why are you acting like you acting so weird? He doesn’t care.” I told him I was worried his brother was going to turn us into the cops. “My brother? That’s not my brother. That is my new roommate!”

Oh Goodness. How stupid was I? I went over there and admitted what we had been doing all night, and he was cool. We talked for a bit and my friend and I left to cause more trouble. Later that night, we saw Dude again and he asked us if we wanted to go to this beer plant in EC to get some free alcohol because J worked there. I was like okay, and we went. I got my alcohol, then went home and went to bed.

Boring story? Huh? Yup that is the first night we met. Not as interesting as what was left to come….

Part 2: How we got tegether

So I found out that first night who I could turn to for free alcohol when I wanted it. I was already friends with Dude and we all started hanging out more. I even at one time was BAWLING over this guy that had “played” me back then. Who was there? Dude and J. He probably thought I was so stupid back then. He tells me to this day, all he could think about is, why is this pretty girl that can get just about anyone, sitting here crying over some guy that obviously isn’t worth her time?”

It wasn’t too long before we all were hanging out all the time, going to parties together, calling each other. We were all just friends. Since it was just friendship, I got to know some of his bad perks, such as having 3 women chasing after him all the time. The thing was, no matter how bad things got in my life, him and Dude were always there for me. They would talk to me and understand how I felt-no strings attached.

My feelings started to change at Dude’s 21st birthday party, which I wasn’t going to go to because this crazy bitch wanted to kick my ass. So J called and said Dude really wanted me there and that they would make her leave before me. I went and hung with J the whole time. I really had mixed feelings about him at the time. I loved being friends with him, but I don’t know if it was his company or what. I wanted to be around them ALL the time. I would hang out at their place and we would all go to movies. Of course J still had his women issues.

My feelings turned into craziness. I was always trying to find ways to be around him. We planned this trip to the beach and everyone went, because I wanted him to go. That night when Dude showed up and J wasn’t there, it tore me apart. J had gone to meet his ex. I still kept quiet about my feelings, except to my closest friends. It later turned into stalking. I would purposely ride up and down his road when I knew he was coming home from work just so he could see me, and hopefully call and see what is up.

Finally, one crazy night, my friend talked me into telling him how I felt. I remember going up there to his house and he didn’t really think much of it I guess because I was always going up there. I told him I needed to talk to him by himself and we went outside. I think he thought I wanted something, because I usually wanted something. I was acting all giddy and stupid…I had everything I was going to say planned out and forgot it all.

“I think I like you.”

WHAT?!!?? Did I just say that out loud? What kind of crap was that? “I think I like you.” My stomach started to hurt and I HONESTLY can’t remember what was said after that. I remember getting in my car thinking…”He probably thinks I am nuts.” That night Dude called and told me J told him. I was like, “Well what did he say?” I don’t think Dude was happy about it, but that’s a WHOLE other story.

The next day 52 showed up in my pager, which ended up showing a lot in the future. They were the numbers to his initials and he would page me and put that in whenever he was thinking about me. The transition from friendship to dating was hard. We just did things we normally would have done. It was like we were still friends. After two weeks he hadn’t even kissed me yet. No peck…no nothing. That’s another story too LOL.

To fast forward, after about two months, on August 1st 1999, he called me at 3 am in the morning and told me he couldn’t sleep. He had wanted to make it official-I guess we are old fashioned- but he wanted to make sure that we were definitely dating and I was his girlfriend.

Now , two kids, and 8 years later, we are still together. I am one to not know about love at first sight. I believe in it, but I didn't go through it. I fell in love with J because he was shy, and sweet, and always knew how to make me feel on top of the world. We have already had many rocky roads in our relationship and things have felt crazy at times, but we always get through them, and I like to think it's because we have so much in common, something I found out from the start!

7 Comments:

Tasha,

I'm from Kernersvill, NC!!! What a small world! I know all about the cruising deal. I never did it but i saw it on my way to the mall every friday night.

Tiff
Wow that is such a sweet story! haha I can totally relate growing up that way (although took a little longer to find the one!) That is small town living!
Just wanted to say "hi." great story too...
Tasha, that was a great story. Thank you for sharing your heart.
Tasha, I loved that story. It was a sweet story and I too, married my best friend. That is what gets us through the hard times.
Thanks for sharing this, Tasha. I think we can all look back at our "how we met" moments with fondness.

My wife says she knew I was the one from the first time she saw me. Kinda cool!
Cool story! Thanks for sharing :)

Add a comment